FREE AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FROM HERAKLION MUNICIPALITY, THE UNIVERSITY OF CRETE AND THE ASSOCIATION OF IT PROFESSORS OF EASTERN CRETE
On 24/1/2012 a collaboration contract for the development of a FOSS Centre in the Municipality of Heraklion of Crete (KEAL), among
the University of Crete and the Association of IT Professors of Eastern Crete was signed.
The above institutions will jointly promote the use and the growth of FOSS, in the a) of Public Administrations,
b) Education, c) Enterprising communities and d) Local communities. This pioneer action will also involve FOSS local
communities of Heraklion and Crete, and at the same time will promote volunteerism and digital rights.
- Organizing meetings, events and conferences on FOSS (open to all the citizens).
- Development of a FOSS demo booth and free distribution to citizens, PA' s and private companies.
- Presentation of FOSS technologies from experts to the public
- Formation of a laboratory hosting courses on FOSS tools and applications (No fees).
3. Advisory services
- Guidance on FOSS from recognized companies and institutions.
- Exchange of experiences on subjects of free software.
4. Development of Software and Digital infrastructures
- Development of FOSS, quality assurance, debugging
- Installation of FOSS, development of compatible digital infrastructure.